Friday, June 14, 2019

Hall of Mirrors

    Hall of Mirrors

 I pass them and gaze - accepting the reality of what I see. This is a learned pattern and of late, I believe it to be destructive; the outside is packaging.  The inside is me - the dark and mushy, the wet and stretchy parts of my body where light does not penetrate.
     To have a reflection, there must be refraction. There must be a light source. We've all played with
mirrors, we see our images multiplied and distorted. Sometimes the distortions are enhanced by the flawed surfaces we rely on for autoplay and instant gratification. Being caught up in the momentary
selfie is validation. We are here. The experience is real. Maybe the crack is not in the glass but rather
in our soul searching.
     I often wonder why and by whom we are told to look at the reflection. We are being indoctrinated into a belief that what others assume about us is true...after all "just look!"
     Preferring to step back far enough where the other me is out of focus, I begin to believe that I am still evolving. Who but I can judge progress?  Who but I can affirm that the packaging is nothing more than a disguise? The lesser animals I share my planet with are startled to see multiples of themselves. They believe the reflection will animate and join them or perhaps devour them.
     In works of fiction, mirrors foretold and provided safe havens for the paranormal. Poor Alice fell through hers and journeyed through a parallel world.
     In my own journey, the mirrors are route markers. When I pause and rest, they offer options. I stand and gaze at where I have been.  My life accumulates one moment at a time. If I break one, the journey is redefined and I must carefully consider the truth that my whole is nothing but the seamless piecing together of shards.  I shall never realize my final shape - I'm in flux.
     Mirrors are also my shield. I use them against you when your energy is unwanted. I allow you to gaze at yourself and if you like what you see, you're welcome to it. If not, please turn and leave. I wish you safe travels.
     I may stop gazing for a while. There is no need to impress either you or me. There is no need to measure my worth by its packaging.  I am a continuation  - an anthropomorphic edition of myself. Perfection is a myth. I am the seed of stardust and infinitely beautiful.








No comments:

Post a Comment