Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Around The Corner

It’s a pity that we are so driven and singularly focused on getting through our day that we miss the hidden joys tucked carefully into the corners of our paths.

Why is the most direct route always the predictor of success?  Why can’t we fumble and loose our way (intentionally) and still accomplish all that we desire?  Don’t know, but I am going to try.

I am going to try to find alternate hidden directions to my life.  I am setting a new course never before attempted and see what I’ve been missing.

The suddenness of this decision is a result of a 30 minute walk this afternoon.  I have reached a crisis in my health and I am learning how to live better, make choices better, and to generally avail myself to the possibilities of a longer, healthier lifestyle.  I am making an effort to participate in my life rather than remain a bystander looking on.

My walk today was along a nature trail at a river’s edge about 40 minutes from my front door.  I discovered it years ago when picnicking with my children.  I hadn’t been back in nearly a decade since dining al fresco with teens is so not cool.

This is my second walk along the boardwalk in 10 days or so and I really needed to air out and take a vacation from my daily routine.  I was eager to get there and knew once I had arrived, I could “pump” my way to renewal.
Off I went, right foot and then left, in a “hup, two, three, four” kind of a rhythm when ahead of me my focus changed to a small group of grey and white haired folks with easels and paints.

The first grouping maybe numbered 4, both men and women in solitude with brushes to pallet in a deliberate collaborative motion of creativity.  It took my breath away.  I yelled “awesome, beautiful, amazing, well done” and marched past the stunned grouping.  I heard a giggle far behind me as I continued down the winding well-worn walkway. 

Minutes later, a solitary artist appeared in view.  I decided not to verbalize and marched right by.  I was smiling which is hard to do when concentrating on “in through the nose and out through the mouth” breathing technique.  Now I was really enjoying myself.  I wanted to know how many more people were painting there.  I kept going and where the boardwalk forks to the left, and I usually go straight, I turned left.

More artists, more smiling! They were so in tuned with their craft, that my purposeful steps on the wooden boards didn’t bother their concentration in the least.  I think one waved me by, but I didn’t pause to return the gesture.  When I got to the turnaround point, I was genuinely joyous.
I was alone surrounded by the sound of rushing water and songs from the last of the migratory summer birds. 

With a deep inhaled breath I started on my way back hoping to slow down just enough to be able to take in the creativity so lovingly applied by brush to paper, but they were packing up and heading in the same direction. The last holdouts, busy admiring each other’s efforts welcomed my last comments: “Thank you for sharing, much appreciated”.  One responded “thank you for your compliments”. 


We gathered in the parking lot the same strangers who had arrived just hours earlier, but we were appreciative of the gifts received today. Silent smiles were exchanged and we understood the unexpected beauty and joy to be found around life’s corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment