Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Sibling Predicament

This story is aptly titled for it is the dynamics of said relationship which is today’s theme.

As one evolves soul and self through the decades, the improvements weigh in on the familial relationships as well.  Lessons taught and learned as children don’t always carry forward into adult hood.  Sharing, secret telling and role playing (to name a few), aren’t appropriate once the age of majority defines us.

Who were we to realize (way back then) that we would develop our own sensibilities regarding choices? When did our mind become our own?  When did the voices which had guided and mold us fade from conscience? Somewhere in the tween years would be my guess.

Those first successful rebellions define us as formidable beings.  The fact that our actions could muster such adversity really set the tone for growing up.  Now that I am parent and have almost graduated from advisor pro tem, I understand the process.  I appreciate the battles for I know that the war is still on the horizon and my children will be equipped and well prepared.

I dwell in the ever changing dynamics of marriage, parenthood and sisterhood.  I am no longer anyone’s daughter or granddaughter.  I have let loose of any relationship with relatives other than my brother.  Neither one of us is immersed in the coming and goings of each other, but if either needed assistance (whether material means or emotional fortitude), no force on earth could stand in our way.

“People, people who need people…” that’s a nice thought from a nice movie sung by one of the premiere vocalists in my lifetime. But the catch phrase presents a personal dichotomy.  Which people shall I choose: those who are related or those who join my journey inadvertently? 

I am not who I was. I am not the final me either. The persons placed in my evolution as a child and adolescent are not familiar with my present self. The phrase “My, how you’ve changed” can’t begin to encompass the truth.

Did I get here with help?  Yes, certainly.  Did I ask for the help?  Perhaps I did. Let’s assume that I am who I know me to be and I am who you perceive me to be because you will never really know me.  I will share fragments with you.  My piece may fit into your unfinished puzzle at least for a while.

Now siblings are a dynamic born out of necessity.  Being born period was not a necessity, divine or otherwise.  It was a choice; one made by the adults in my family.  Not so the other relationship. I can’t imagine that my opinion was ever solicited. My brother just arrived and invaded my space and played with my toys and ate my share of dessert.

We mimicked other children and their siblings and learned good and bad habits.
My mother was an only child still attached to her mother and clueless.  My father was one of 4, but far more independent and didn’t really care about his adult brother and sisters. Family reunions were never addressed and when I was introduced to extended family, I didn’t really sense any importance in establishing or maintaining a “relationship”.

You may find me cynical.  Ask me if I care. I know many people who celebrate family and where they came from and find great self -importance once they have been duly defined as belonging to so and so’s family tree.

Well if you are entangled in a family member’s life, so be it.  It was your choice to remain there.  You may have re-invented your purpose and find great comfort in the belonging to another. Your own wisdom and way of doing things may be the light bulb moment in the life of a relation.  Your destiny and your soul’s journey may be to guide. 


For me, there’s no reward in heaven.  I am just being me and so far the trip has been fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment