Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Meditation

A single word reply to my sharing a daily horoscope with my friend came by text:  “Meditate”.  Huh?  Well, okay, I’ll try.

I’ve never been very successful in attempting to quiet my soul and singularly focus on homework, unfinished craft projects or messages from the universe. My several selves have always been adept at multi-tasking. And as my life was joined by husband and children, I have always encouraged their abilities to be just as flexible.  I think it is way more entertaining that way.  Why miss an opportunity to juggle responsibilities with just plain fun? My motto is not “why” but rather “why not”.

I’m reading a book these days…at least trying to read a book.  It’s hard for me to concentrate.  The author touched on recent diagnosis’ such as ADD and ADHD…nothing really to do with her main topic, but it sparked my interest. Yes, I may be one of those who would benefit from therapy.  I won’t dwell on it as my dance card is already full.  Well, it was in trying to read that book, late yesterday afternoon when my eyes glanced away from the page to see what my charge (a toy poodle) was doing.  She had left my lap and wandered into hidden areas of her patio.  That tactic usually means she had found a loose fence board and was negotiating a new pathway to the elevated boardwalk and its unexplored areas underneath.

I found her trailing a lizard on her side of the fence and returned my attention to the page…almost.  In a momentary shift in focus from where she was, I looked up and noticed a small grouping (much smaller than a flock) of birds atop the tall reeds and grasses which formed a barrier between this house and the next block north.

My first observance left me wondering how they managed to “sit” there.  The grasses were all vertical and to my mind, nothing horizontal to support their weight.
“Tightrope” adaptation…clever birds.  The breeze provided encouragement and the pairing of bird to tall grass swayed and returned.  No singing or chirping, just resting in unison.  After several minutes, a single chirp and they left my view.  Not to worry, others appeared from lower destinations in the same grasses and my new group performed the same dance.  Just rest and upon command, fly away.

As I followed the last few into the horizon, I began to notice other birds.  Pigeons flew close en route to a favorite balcony of a neighboring townhome.  I could see their pinkness.  The solitary heron graced my overhead sky right on cue.  She kisses the approaching dusk every evening at the same time.  Yesterday, I purposely watched her; I stood up and backed toward the fence line and wished her a safe journey home.  She’ll be back tomorrow and will be present the next time I pet sit here.

The dog’s concentration was broken by a pairing of father and son, approaching.  As I scooped her up (to keep her from barking), the sky welcomed a large flight of brown pelicans…probably close to 30 in number.  I wanted to share my excitement and invited the pair to join me in watching this perfect drama unfold.  The father thanked me and lifted the child to his shoulders.  We stood together, separately, and well…meditated.

I filled with peace, that kind which is given to those who step out of themselves long enough to realize that we’re in this together.  To think otherwise would be devoid of reality.  And not to appreciate these momentary gifts would be a great loss to ones understanding of identity and purpose.


I look forward to today’s encounters and will stop and listen to the truth. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment