Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Lunch With Mon Ami

Setting:  Favorite out of town eatery, late lunch on a nothing special Saturday afternoon.
Company:  Favorite daughter (I have only one).
Details:  Please follow along J

I live my life with a fairly open schedule.  This allows me time for moments of inspiration and impromptu encounters with the unexpected. I’m trying to be open to the ebb and flow of the universe.  It’s a learned skill and not easy to accomplish, but I’m trying.

People tied to schedules are giving their power away.  Why? What’s the benefit? Not understanding this philosophy is fine with me.  Not participating in this restrictive and burdensome life style allows me to be myself.  Who else could handle the job requirements so effortlessly with such grace and “Joie de vie”?

So, the two of us were off to lunch.  It was a last minute invite.  It’s always a last minute invite…if I’m doing the inviting.  More fun that way and the anticipation builds at such a high speed that there’s really no time to second guess myself.
I bet if I had a current passport, the excitement would be uncontrollable!  But for now, it’s better to stay within a half days drive from my own front door.

My daughter is my best traveling buddy.  We share our moments together in the typical mother daughter way, sharing dreams and secrets, giggles and gasps of “are you kidding me”?  I’m really getting to know her and she’s constantly amused to learn of my own travels as a single woman way back when.

On this Saturday, the on the way in the car chatter was about her last semester as an undergraduate college student and her cyber world and her art and her planned book and sequels.  She’s so busy with her creative self, that she exudes joy and hope and is forever my inspiration. The journey through the same neighborhoods and cities and bridges didn’t take the usual hour of our lives.  Seemed we just left the driveway and we were pulling in to the street parking around the corner from our restaurant.

We noticed a neighboring café with canine patrons and both smiled because we advocate for dog friendly businesses.  Seems natural to us that our “best” friends be allowed to join us on our outings.  We’d take them if we could, but at present our pets outnumber the people and we don’t want to be considered discriminatory with regards to which ones to leave behind.

The restaurant we like is housed in a former residence in the old part of town.  Most of the refurbished former houses are now offices, restaurants and boutiques.  The outsides are wooden siding and all have porches and outdoor ceiling fans.  The color palette gives homage to days gone by and ours was a beautiful soft pink.  Patrons have a choice of seating, both inside and out.  We elected an end table (for two) on the raised porch. Dining al fresco is much preferred on the warm afternoons of June.  We arrived at an in between time, but were in good company with other guests who chose to dine in and others who preferred the street side tables under colorful umbrellas. Everyone was engaged in intimate conversation and enjoying the food and each other.

The menu was small but in no way limited.  Course selections included seafood, sandwiches, pasta, salads and desserts on a simple black and white menu. Chef’s name is just under the restaurant name. The daily specials were on a second freshly typed page.  Prices just listed as dollars.  Tables were highly polished wood and chairs were of a wrought iron variety, but not too heavy or cumbersome…simple, tasteful and inviting.

She chose a salad variety and me, a burger garnished with Aioli and a side of penne pasta.  This new mayonnaise dressing is fast becoming a favorite.  I will have to investigate further.

In the minutes of anticipation before we were served, we kept vigil on a carpenter ant which was keeping vigil over our table and railing.  Not easily discouraged from its predestined course, I moved the table further from the railing and the uninvited guest lost interest and disappeared into the shrub on the other side from us.

Conversation changed to something else and soon our hostess appeared with lunch and a big smile and questions regarding hot sauces or other requested condiments.
“No, thank you” we said in unison and began to enjoy our meal.

Not long after we started eating, a small brownish bird joined us.  Just hopped up on the white painted railing alongside the table and invited itself to lunch.  He was a him because of the vibrancy of his color; all brown, but beautifully patterned throughout wing and tail feathers. My girl identified him as a chickadee.  I don’t know the difference so we’ll go with her description. His beak remained opened and he darted from side to side in a purposeful dance to engage our participation.
My potato bread became his preferred tidbit and I was happy to share.  The waitress returned for a moment and I said “we have a visitor”.  She backed away from the table and asked for more details.  Perhaps she thought it was another less welcomed creature, but I said…no, a bird.  She sighed and said, “oh, yes. They are very friendly and very well fed.”

He came back repeatedly, and we smiled to notice bread crumbs about his beak.
He must have noticed our stare and flew to the birdbath to rinse off and regain his dapper appearance.

I decided to hand feed him, but soon regretted my decision as he left me a little prick to remember him by.

Lunch continued and the little fellow emboldened by a life- long relationship with other lunch and dinner guests, hopped down to the table and came up to my plate.
Not wanting him to actually dine from my plate, I broke off a too big piece of bread and placed on the rail behind me to encourage his leaving the table. ..which he did, but then reappeared with a female on the sign hanging on the corner post just behind my left side.  This made my daughter laugh and comment “now you’ve done it”!

I don’t know why he didn’t return to the table or railing, but for the rest of our time there, he busied himself with her in the bushes on the other side of us.  Happy, I guess, with his efforts, stomach full and his mate pleased with his abilities to provide well.

We have pictures to commemorate the lunch.  I may christen a painting in his honor, but will have to engage the use of a bird reference book to get his markings just right.  The photos don’t do him justice. 


I tried to think of a name for him.  I don’t like dining with strangers, but couldn’t come up with one. I suppose I’ll think of one once I consider his personality.  In the meantime, “Mon Ami” will do.  It is with unspoken affection that I will remember our brief but heartfelt encounter.  And I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment