Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My Last Day

Today, I woke up wondering about the finality of it all. This all started last night while viewing the city fireworks over the water.  My town sponsors an annual traditional family friendly day-long event to commemorate our Independence Day. It’s probably very similar to every other town, complete with parades and fun bouncy castles and vendors who sell red, white and blue battery powered everything to help light up the evening on the lawn of the waterfront park.  The Gazebo is open for grabs to the earliest of guests and if you bring your own blankets, chairs, coolers and flags, you can stake a claim to a spot on the freshly mown grass and enjoy a pre show picnic.

Everybody comes. Even those who aren’t comfortable in crowded spaces, are welcome to share benches in other smaller public parks west of this town’s favorite meeting place. The fireworks, sent from a barge strategically parked midstream, allow for viewing in all directions.  If you’re a fireworks connoisseur, the skies in neighboring towns continue the tradition way past midnight.

My daughter and I arrived late because I was inspired to leave last minute and our first strategy was to find that perfect parking spot. I just followed the long line of other cars circling the several blocks of designated parking.
Too bad my car is a midsize, because I spotted several possibilities along the route.  We gave up once we spotted a $5.00 lot and went around the block just one more time to make sure.  Plenty of parking there and relatively close walking distance to the park.  The attendant made sure that we knew our car would be locked behind the gated entrance after 10 P. M.

Well it was that in between time, I think some would call it “dusk” when we left the car to join the other pedestrians headed south.  Some came fully prepared, even at this late hour.  Mamas had coordinated the outfits for dads and children, grandparents were tasked to carry the coolers, blankets and chairs. Toddlers headed for the cotton candy and popcorn man and if that didn’t work, were just as happy convincing mom or dad to buy flashing wristbands, headbands and other hand carried torches, sparklers or patriotic water guns.  Those with strollers maneuvered their very little ones over the heads of those already seated.  Trees provided the adventurous and not too heavy guests to claim the lower branches for optimum gazing location.

The children’s play area was full of chatter and laughter and lined with parents hopeful the extra wiggles would remain behind.

We were in our own appropriate holiday wear and came totally unprepared for a comfortable hours sit on the lawn.  As a matter of fact, we weren’t assured of any unclaimed area for two as we tried to find a pathway from the street to sidewalk at water’s edge. But we did, and I remembered to ask permission from the lady who had a blanket ready for additional guests.  We squeezed just in front of her and to the left of an already seated couple.  The husband was very gracious and moved his chair even closer to his wife’s to allow for our standing to sitting transformation on the grass.

So there we were, settled into our part of the huge lawn between families and dogs, folding chairs, blankets and curious children, temporarily out of view from their perspective parents.  More people trying to remember where they left their people on a return trip from vendor or bathroom found a pathway between us and the roped off area just to my left.  I smiled to study the bungee cord laced around the flags.  That group knew that theirs was VIP seating.

In the 45 or so minutes before the show, we listened to a local band; definitely not sing along.  Some mix of blues and Sousa…although Sousa just didn’t sound the same coming from a keyboard.  Oh well.

We were all in high spirits and shared anticipation.  The announcer began the countdown from 10 and the crowd chimed in. 

Perfect timing! The first rounds were lit and we all watched the tail of the largest rocket soar almost too high and then the beauty of the evening’s culminating display burst over head in a continuous 22 minute celebration.

I saw new fireworks…gold and cascading.  I saw old favorites and sonic booms which made me squeal out loud.  I belonged to this moment in time, it was mine to experience in a very passionate and personal manner.
As the music changed to tunes which I could remember, I sang along.
I teared up just a little remembering nights like this when I was a child.
They were exactly the same, but different.

But last night my girl and I were together in this place, sharing this memory and knowing that someday, way in the future, we will rely on this shared experience to validate that she was on the verge of her own life’s quest and I was headed uncomfortably towards later middle age.

Later middle age will ease into beginning old age and then eventually, time will no longer be my friend. So I’m planning my exit now while I’m in the presence of mind to be at my creative peak.

After the earth to earth and dust to dust parts have been resolved and my ashes mixed with soil and my Aspen tree planted, I want fireworks.  An expensive and amazing aerial display somewhere…in my honor.  I want all invited guests to light sparklers and hold them in a unison arch and watch the brightness give breath to the evening sky.  If you can’t get a permit to accomplish this celebration legally, do it anyway.  Do it because you remember that I didn’t always follow the rules.

I will be there - forever a part of the universe.  The noise and vivid colors will announce my soul’s continuous journey. It will be a one of a kind remembrance…kinda like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment